Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Diversity City Turns 775


Berlin turns 775 this year. As part of the celebration, the city has created an open-air exhibit in Mitte called Stadt der Vielfalt, or City of Diversity- a huge walkable map with colorful "pins" each highlighting a different part of Berlin's uniqueness. Each pin holds a story corresponding to its particular neighborhood, like a now famous Turkish-German author's first shared home when she arrived here in the 60s, a world music workshop for children, and a story about how immigrants introduced the potato to Berlin. The exhibit portrays Berlin's history as one of immigration, diversity, and inclusion, while making sure not to ignore past (and present) problems of exclusion, persecution, and discrimination of those who are "different".

I also found my neighborhood...


...my office (and the pond I walk around after lunch every day!)...


...and even a pin about my beloved Thai Park!


Berlin, I love you and your diversity. Happy birthday.

p.s. you don't look a day over 500.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

it is still there! i love that map!