Friday, June 8, 2012

Kumpir: A Poor Man's Paradise

Slowly but surely this is morphing into a food blog. I am well aware of this fact but not prepared to stop myself any time soon. On that note, today's meal I've deemed worthy of discussion is one I find very successfully blends the German and Turkish food cultures. It's not Gözleme, it's not even Döner Kebab. It's Kumpir: a baked potato like you. have. never. seen.


To make Kumpir, the potato is first baked in an oven where it gets nice and hot. Then the insides are mixed with lots of cheese and butter that melts and gets all gooey. Mmmmm. This step takes time... they really mix it up well.  After the mixing, the expert Kumpir maker nods that he or she is ready for you and you race to the counter to choose your toppings. Common toppings are olives, corn, creamy noodle salads, pickles, tomato sauce, garlic sauce, quark (sour cream), jalapenos, and kisir, a Turkish couscous that is reddened with tomato or red pepper paste. Mmmmmm again.

I've only had Kumpir twice, but I think I have my toppings down. Kisir, tomato sauce, quark, and a vat of jalapenos. I told the woman making mine that I wanted a lot of them, and her eyes widened as I encouraged her to add a second and then third spoonful. Mmmmm spice-ay.

This is what Sophia's Kumpir looks like:


I like mine all mixed together so I get a bit of everything in each bite, so I spend a couple minutes trying to incorporate it all. When you have as many jalapenos as I do, this isn't the easiest task. It's also difficult to be patient and methodical with your stirring when all you want to do is stuff it into your mouth.


Why a poor man's paradise? Because I can't think of anything that gives you more bang for your buck. This thing is loaded with calories- a Kalorienbombe (calorie bomb) as one friend called it- and you can get as many toppings as you want for the same set price. Plus it's truly a monstrosity of a meal. I wasn't able to finish mine either time, so this could easily be shared with a friend, should your topping tastes align. And all for under 5 euros!

No comments: